2019 Winter Birds of Vancouver
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Date: February 11-15 and February 17-21, 2019
Leaders: Jess Findlay and Connor Stefanison
Fee: $2250 (Approx. $1800 USD) + 5% GST
Maximum Group Size: 6 Photographers
Vancouver is without a doubt, one of the best major cities in the world for wildlife photography. With abundant city parks, snow-capped mountains, freshwater and saltwater wetlands, you're never far from a great bird photography location in this city.
Birders and photographers flock to this region, not only to see many of the west coast specialties, but also for the multitude of migratory species that spend the winter in this Important Bird Area (IBA), that encompasses much of the Fraser River Delta. The area supports the highest bird diversity in Canada throughout the winter, with well over 150 species.
We'll have amazing opportunities to photograph species such as: Short-eared Owls, Snowy Owls (during irruption years), Barred Owls, Green-winged Teal, Wood Ducks, and more!
We hope you can join us for four full days of world-class bird photography in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada!
Why participate in this workshop?
- Two leaders means you will receive more one on one instruction.
- Our workshops take place in a fun and non-competitive atmosphere.
- Vancouver is our hometown, and we are very experienced in locating the area’s wildlife. This ensures that you are in the best place at the best time to capture the best possible images.
- We are committed to providing you with the greatest possible workshop experience.
- The majority of our locations offer tolerant birds, allowing you to exercise your creative abilities.
- Known for our unique, eye-catching images, we can help hone your photographic eye.
- All of our advertised images were taken at the workshop sites.
- Four full days of photography, plus one additional evening of indoor instruction.
- Unlimited expert photographic instruction and guiding in the field
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction.
Cost does not include:
- Trip insurance (we recommend that you acquire this)
Suggested Photography Gear:
- Digital SLR
- Wide angle lens (example: 16-35mm, 24-70mm)
- Mid-range lens (example: 100-400mm)
- Telephoto lens (400mm or larger). You will this 95% of the time.
- Polarizing filter
- Cable or wireless shutter remote
- Bag to carry all of the above in the field
Most Commonly Encountered Species:
- Short-eared Owl
- Barred Owl
- Northern Saw-whet Owl
- Northern Pygmy Owl
- Great Grey Owl
- Snowy Owl*
- Long-eared Owl
- Great horned Owl
- Barn Owl
- Northern Harrier
- Bald Eagle
- Red-tailed Hawk
- Wood Duck
- Green-winged Teal
- Ring-necked Duck
- Northern Pintail
- Hooded Merganser
- American Wigeon
- Snow Goose
- Trumpeter Swan
- Sandhill Crane
- Great Blue Heron
- Black Oystercatcher
- Golden-crowned Sparrow
- Red-winged Black Bird
- California Quail
- Steller's Jay
- Common Goldeneye
- Harlequin Duck
- * = During irruption years
If you are visiting from out of town, we recommend that you fly into one of the following airports:
- Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Abbotsford International Airport (YXX)
- Bellingham International Airport (BLI)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
You are responsible for providing your own transportation during the workshop. We recommend that you either carpool with other workshop participants, or use your own vehicle/rental vehicle. We will provide you with the contact information of other participants, so that you can organize carpooling arrangements.
We recommend staying at the following hotel. We will be meeting there every morning.
- Best Western Plus Kings Inn & Conference Centre - Burnaby, B.C
- On the first day, we will meet in the evening for an intro presentation and technical instruction.
- Each morning we will meet in the morning to begin photographing just before sunrise (approx. 6:30am).
- Closer to noon and when the light is at its highest point, we will break for lunch.
- After lunch, we will continue photographing until just after sunset (approx. 5:30pm).
In order to participate in this workshop, please email me at email@example.com, or use the form to the right. Here I will be able to send you a registration package and liability waiver.
For your registration to be confirmed, you must mail a cheque with your deposit to the address that I will provide you with. For your convenience, payment can also be completed via PayPal, with the 2.9% PayPal surcharge being covered by the sender (3.7% USA, 3.9% international). Deposits are non-refundable, unless the workshop is cancelled by the leaders. Final payment of the remaining workshop fee is due 60 days before the start date of the workshop.